Before looking for ways to fight, you need to find out where the moth comes from. Small gray butterflies do not cause such a wave of disgust as a cockroach ran through the kitchen, but their appearance does not bode well. At first they eat cereals, but they can also move to cabinets, where an expensive fur coat will serve as a treat. To remove midges from home, you need to find out what type of insects you are dealing with.
Moth is a butterfly that has a rather modest body size (no more than 15 mm) and wings of a nondescript gray color. She tries to settle in the apartment, because she finds there a stable source of food and good conditions for reproduction. The female can lay up to 150 larvae, from which a swarm of insects will appear.
Types of moth found in the house:
- food (grain);
The name reflects a food source and favorite food. To answer the question of where the moth comes from, you need to find its habitat. The ways of getting into the house for both species are completely different. In addition, small pest butterflies can live in nature (apple, rye or cabbage moth). Such species cause trouble to gardeners.
Insects cannot appear in the apartment on their own. Most likely, you somehow brought them into the house. The greatest risk awaits you in the markets and in small stores where cereals are sold by weight. Many people think that packaged foods are protected from insects. However, due to their small size, they easily penetrate from the smallest tears in the package.
Be careful when buying promotional items. Unscrupulous sellers and managers of large supermarkets can get rid of a batch of cereals populated by parasites at low prices.
Food moles start in the following products:
- cereal crops;
- dried berries and fruits;
- dried herbs;
- dry food for dogs and cats;
- plant seeds and dried roots.
Keep nuts and cereals only in sealed containers.
The second option for the appearance of insects in the apartment is an independent path. If these butterflies settled in the kitchen of your neighbors for a long time, there is a chance that they will decide to expand their habitat. However, their wings are not able to withstand long air travel, which reduces the risk of self-movement.
How to prevent the occurrence?
Any home is not safe from the appearance of midges. It's not about cleanliness. Even with perfect order, they can find a secluded place where cereals or flour are stored, and choose it as a permanent home. Having found out where the food moth comes from, it is necessary to prevent its reproduction and nutrition.
- Store cereals and flour in sealed cans. Leaving open bags with flour and cardboard boxes with oatmeal, you run the risk of “bred” a swarm of butterflies in the apartment.
- Check for dark, dry places. Puppies love to settle in pantries, dark cabinets and bedside tables. Visit these places periodically for early detection of unwanted guests.
- Ventilate the cabinets. Moth hates fresh air. She is attracted by the musty smell in cabinets and cabinets.
- Sprigs of lavender and skins of citrus fruits will also help to cope with the scourge. These insects do not tolerate harsh floral or citrus aromas. It is enough to put a couple of sprigs of lavender in the lockers.
- Do not store nuts in large volumes. In stocks of nuts midges start up more often than in cereals.
- Check store purchases when pouring into sealed glass containers.
The name of the species speaks for itself: these midges love to settle in cabinets and enjoy products made from natural materials (wool, fur). In addition to clothing, furniture upholstered in natural materials may also be affected. Such insects often start in the apartment and cause significant damage when clothes or furniture are damaged.
The most likely way to get a moth at home is to buy a product infected with insects or larvae. These items include:
- natural wool rug;
- a pillow or bedspread with a natural filler;
- furniture upholstered in natural fabrics;
- woolen sweaters, hats, scarves;
- fur coats or hats;
- shoes on fur.
The insidious thing is that even expensive products are not protected from eating by voracious butterflies. One individual that appears in the apartment will very quickly produce offspring - when you buy one thing infected with midges, you risk infecting the entire wardrobe. They move very quickly from one thing to another.
Some people claim that the moth appeared in the house because of pets with long hair. While walking on the street, she can cling to the dog’s coat. This "mode of transport" is not excluded, but its probability is extremely small.
How to prevent the occurrence?
So that all natural things in the apartment do not overshoot the parasites, you need to follow a number of rules.
- Inspect each item purchased and an element of upholstered furniture.
- Periodically ventilate fur products in the fresh air under sunlight.
- Arrange in cabinets that store fur and wool products, open jars of essential oils or pillows with lavender flowers.
- In winter, you can “freeze” fur coats and sweaters on the balcony to kill insects and their pupae.
Periodic cleaning in the kitchen and cabinets will prevent insects from settling in your home forever. Knowing how the moth appears, it is easier to deal with unwanted cohabitants.