Old age is unpleasant in appearance, the smell and scares young people - this is a fact. The characteristic aroma is often exuded not only by older people, but also by their home, and getting rid of the smell of old age in an apartment is not easy. Half measures will not help here. It is necessary to tune in if not for repair, then for spring cleaning. The use of special sprays, solutions, folk remedies is the second important point. But first things first.
The source of bad smell in the apartment
The smell of old age is very specific. In Japan, for him there is a separate term - kareishu. After 30 years, the flavor of kareishu to a lesser or greater extent begins to appear in every person and only increases with age. Its appearance is not related to nutrition, religion, nationality and skin color.
Why does the body and housing of the elderly smell bad?
- By the age of 50, the production of sex hormones is reduced. Of course, this affects the smell of the body. The body is rebuilding, the composition of sweat, metabolism are changing, women have a menopause.
- With age, the skin becomes thinner and requires special care. The usual soap, which people of the old school are so accustomed to using, greatly overdries the already dry skin. After hygiene procedures, older people are frankly uncomfortable, there is a feeling of tightness, itching, peeling. Therefore, they wash less often than they used to do in their youth.
- Inadequate hygiene due to weakness, disease, loneliness. Fallen vision, arthritis, osteochondrosis, and many other age-related diseases significantly impair physical ability and agility even in a seemingly simple matter such as taking a shower. And if the old man is lonely? Then he simply does not see the point of bothering himself with unnecessary worries.
- Inadequate cleaning, poorly washed laundry. For the same reason, the old people are less cleaned up and monitor the cleanliness of their homes. They can wear things for weeks without washing. And if there is no washing machine, then they physically cannot clean the laundry properly.
- Refusal to ventilate due to fear of drafts, the habit of eating garlic and onions, the need to take medicine (in particular valerian), and storage of old things also contribute. In the apartment, particles of the dead skin of an elderly person settle, bacteria multiply, and literally everything around is soaked with the smell of old age.
If an elderly person continues to live in a dwelling, one should try to improve his hygiene. The problem of poorly laundered laundry will be solved by a washing machine and fragrance powder, of a dirty body - a gel with a neutral pH for sensitive skin. A feeble old man should provide proper care and help with cleaning the apartment on an ongoing basis.
To get rid of the smell of old age in the apartment, you need to carry out a general cleaning. Particular attention should be paid to furniture and things that collect dust.
First of all, high-quality cleaning requires:
- carpets and rugs;
- soft furniture;
- the interior of the storage cabinets;
- bedding, clothes.
High-quality - this means using special tools. Hard-to-reach spots should also be washed by moving furniture away. It will be useful to wipe the doors, walls and ceiling. Better yet, change the wallpaper. If trash has been accumulating in the apartment for a long time, then you need to sort it out and throw out the unnecessary. It can be old newspapers, magazines, rags, broken chairs, ancient shoes, worn clothes.
What means will help to remove a smell?
To combat a specific odor, you can use various tools, ranging from ordinary laundry soap with water and a rag to household chemicals with antibacterial components. Of course, special sprays and liquids are more effective, but require material waste (on average, 300-400 rubles).
According to reviews and ratings, the following household products best remove odors:
- "Bugs Stihonit." A universal spray that cleans, cleans and disinfects upholstered furniture, carpets and hard surfaces.
- "Vanish shampoo for manual cleaning of carpets and furniture." Removes any, even old and persistent dirt.
- Unicum Spray for stain removal and comprehensive cleaning. The tool easily copes with pollution and an unpleasant odor.
There are econom recipes:
- A solution of vinegar. 7 tablespoons of table vinegar should be dissolved in 1 liter of warm water and wipe the floors, furniture, and the inside of the cabinets with a tool. Acetic solution disinfects and removes odors. For convenience, it can be poured into a container with a spray.
- Manganese solution. Potassium permanganate must be diluted in water to pink. To eliminate the smell of old age, the product treats floors, shelves in the cabinet. Use with caution on a light tree, since potassium permanganate can leave stains.
A washing vacuum cleaner and steam cleaner will significantly reduce the cleaning time in the apartment of the elderly.
After thorough cleaning, it is time to nourish the apartment with new, pleasant smells. To do this, you can use:
- air fresheners;
- incense sticks and candles;
- bags of herbs;
- orange peel or coffee beans in plates;
- scented soap sticks;
- aroma lamps;
- coniferous branches.
To defeat the smell of old age will help cooking in the baking room, frequent airing, clean linen, washed with powder with fragrances. You can arrange flowers in the apartment. In the process of new life, even the most old-fashioned fragrance will go away. The main thing is to conduct a high-quality general cleaning first thing.